Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Brazilian Savory Cake - New Year's Resolution

Hi there!



 This year for my principle resolution (read more about it here) I decided I want to be more resourceful, that is, to make the most of the resources already available to me. So, in January I decided to start in my kitchen. (If you want to be amused, read about my first failure here). When I opened my refrigerator last weekend, there were lots of things about to go bad... Tomatoes, carrots, onions... And so I looked on my recipe book and found a wonderful, nutritious and yummy recipe of what I am calling Brazilian savory cake. I haven't had this in years and oh, it was so good to eat it again. A special thanks to the Tofaneto family for the recipe :).

I did buy four ingredients that were missing, but that was it. I had all the rest at home - and trust me, the end result was waaaaaay better than my "invention" of Spam and cottage cheese.

But you may be wondering... What is this cake made of? Well, it is made of layers of crustless sandwich bread and three different fillings - creamy chicken, spinach and corn, and carrots. (I can post the recipe on another post if you guys are interested, just let me know)
All that covered in mashed potatoes icing (bear with me American friends it is worth it) and potato sticks. I will show you in pictures what I did. Here it is:

First I cooked the chicken for the first filling with chicken broth.


While that was doing its yumminess magic, I blended corn, olive oil and flour and cooked it until the flour taste was gone.


Then I added frozen spinach to it. And the second filling was done.


Then I shredded the cooked chicken and put it back in the broth (I tweaked the recipe a little) and added tomatoes... And let it cook some more.

Meanwhile, I added the carrots to cream cheese and table cream (creme de leite) and some nutmeg, and the third filling was done.


Then I added some table cream to the chicken, and the first filling was done.



Now the hard work is over. All you gotta do is cut the crust off the bread...  (I will use those to make breadcrumbs or croutons later, for now I froze the crusts)


Make a layer of the bread and pour some milk and salt to it for moisture...


Spread the first filling, make another layer of bread, spread the second filling, another layer of bread, the third one, another layer of bread and then top it with the mashed potatoes icing...(which is basically mashed potatoes and mayo)



And of course the potato sticks ( you could use the toasted crusts instead - just toast them with oregano, olive oil and salt and you have delicious croutons)...


And this is the result:



It is yummy, it has veggies in it and looks colorful and best of all, I used my resources! Yay! Oh, and when I was prepping ingredients I had leftovers of chopped green onions, onions and parsley, so guess what I did? I froze them as is...




Their textures will change a little, but they are still great for stews and other recipes in which they are cooked! So now I have to think of what I can do to use them and the crusts... hehehe maybe another experiment will come soon... ;)


What about you, how are you doing on your resolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment